Q. What's the history of the Rotunda?
Originally, the Rotunda was home to First Baptist Church. Construction was started in 1933 and completed in 1939. First Baptist met there until 1965 when they moved into the new church building which is located across the street on the east side of Olive Avenue. In 1968, Dr. Jess Moody was the pastor at First Baptist Church and was looking for a place for PBA to open and hold classes. First Baptist allowed PBA to lease their old church building (the Rotunda). It housed classrooms, the library, the music department, and the theatre. PBA was eventually able to purchase the building. In 2009, renovations were completed and the Lassiter Rotunda that we know today was opened to the public. It now houses the Warren Library and the Center for Writing Excellence.
First Baptist was renamed Family Church in the early 2010s.